Statistics have shown that up to 75%+ of people hate their jobs. Now hate is a very strong word but I’d certainly endorse that figure by saying that 75%+ of people get little or no enjoyment from their career/role. Are you one of them?
It’s so easy to ‘fall’ into a role because:
- The salary/title was attractive
- Someone else said you’d be good at it
- You were promoted
But I’ve spent the majority of my career coaching sessions –
- Helping people who seem to ‘have it all’ – good salary, great title, company benefits – but are extremely unhappy. (They’ve climbed the career ladder and now feel it’s resting up against the wrong wall)
- Coaching people who seem to be following someone else’s dream career (I suspect that others try to get you into a career that they would have dearly loved themselves)
- Listening to managers who were excellent managing a process, but it’s a different game managing people; and they just don’t like it!
So how do you get yourselves out of this pickle, so you don’t become part of the 75%+ statistic?
The first step is to have a strategy/plan of moving from where you are now, to where you want to be. And then being prepared to take ACTION to get there. (After all, you wouldn’t go on a holiday without doing a bit of research first, would you? Making a plan – visiting travel agents, looking on the map, researching the area, buying the currency etc. etc).
However although this option is open to everyone, some people never make the first move. In fact some seem to get some pleasure from being ‘stuck’. Is that you?
If not, get that plan together and have the trip of your life, into a career you truly deserve and love!
Want to get started now?
Download this freebie to get you started : Graduate Career Wheel
The Graduate Career Wheel is a great start. In minutes this wheel will highlight to you where your career is good and what needs to be changed. You’ll feel so much better knowing you have already made a start on ‘the plan’!